Where any grant overpayment occurs, SUSI must seek repayment from the student. An overpayment may relate to either a maintenance grant paid directly to the student or to a student contribution or other fee grant paid to an institution on a student’s behalf.
Recovery of overpayments will be undertaken in accordance with the following:
- Section 24(1-3) of the Student Support Act 2011; and
- The relevant article of the Student Grant Scheme of the relevant academic year.
When an overpayment comes to SUSI’s attention, SUSI will:
- Inform you of the decision to vary your grant amount or rescind your grant award.
- Inform you of the overpayment amount and request repayment;
- Provide you with a Grant Repayment Option Form, (see links below) which will request details of your preferred repayment option and which should be signed and returned to SUSI within two weeks. SUSI is open to agreeing a range of repayment options but subject to a minimum instalment payment value.
Grant Repayment Form Option 1
Overpayment Form Option 2
Example Completed Repayment Form:
Once you have returned your Grant Repayment Option Form containing repayment terms that are acceptable to SUSI, a Statement of Agreed Terms and Conditions will be issued to you confirming;
- Total amount to be repaid;
- Number, value and frequency of instalments to be repaid;
- SUSI Payment Methods/Bank Details as appropriate.
When the final payment has been received SUSI will issue a confirmation of receipt on all payments which were due on your account.