Compulsory Field Trips
Students may be required as part of their studies to engage in a compulsory field trip. Students in receipt of a student grant for the 2022/2023 academic year may be eligible for a refund in respect of specific costs incurred on such a compulsory field trip.
What is a Compulsory Field Trip?
A compulsory field trip is defined as a field trip that is an integral part of a course. It is for fact-finding or research purposes without which the student cannot graduate or progress to the next year of their course.
Who may be eligible for a Compulsory Field Trip Grant?
- Students qualifying for a maintenance grant;
- Students holding Back to Education allowance for a fee only grant;
- Tuition Students qualifying for a fee only grant under the current year’s Student Grant Scheme for attendance on an approved undergraduate course in the state; and
- Postgraduate Students on Special Rate.
In all cases the field trip must be a compulsory part of the course, i.e. if the student does not complete the field trip they will not graduate or progress in their course.
What level of Compulsory Field Trip Grant is available?
The rate payable (if any) will be dependent on whether the tuition fee cost (regardless of whether it was funded under the Student Grant Scheme or the Free Fees Scheme) plus the student contribution element exceed the maximum fees limit of €6270.
|Cost Element||Example 1||Example 2|
|Tuition Fee Cost||€2,000||€3,500|
|Student Contribution Fee||€3,000||€3,000|
|Max Fee Limit||€6,270||€6,270|
|Max left available for Fieldtrips|
(Max Fee Limit minus Total)
What does the Compulsory Field Trip Grant cover?
- Reasonably incurred, receipted cost of transport and accommodation (only) directly associated with the field trip;
- Airplane boarding cards (outbound/Inbound) must be furnished.
- Please note that car fuel is not an allowable expense as only expenses incurred on public transport are allowable.
How do I apply for a Compulsory Field Trip Refund?
Step 1: Application for Refund of Compulsory Field Trip Expenses.
You can download, complete and return the Application for Refund of Compulsory Field Trip Expenses Form Application for Refund of Compulsory Field Trip Expenses. which must be submitted to SUSI before the field trip. SUSI will assess the application and confirm if the applicant is eligible for a refund.
Step 2: Application for Payment of Compulsory Field Trip Expenses.
(Please note, you must have completed Step 1 and received confirmation from SUSI on Step 1 prior to progressing to Step 2.)
You can download, complete and return the Application for Payment of Compulsory Field Trip Expenses Form 2 Form Application for Payment of Compulsory Field Trip Expenses which must be submitted to SUSI after the field trip, together with appropriate receipts/documentation.
To where do I send my Compulsory Field Trip Application Form?
Your completed form and receipts/documentation should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .