Students Studying Outside the State
Maintenance grant only
The Maintenance Grant is the only funding available to eligible Undergraduate Students pursuing approved courses outside the Irish State. The fee grant is not available to students studying outside the State. For those studying outside the State please also note that the maintenance grant funding is available for undergraduate study only. The only exception to this is for students attending postgraduate courses in four approved institutions in Northern Ireland. You can read more about the four approved institutions for postgraduate study here.
To be eligible for a grant you must qualify under the following criteria:
Nationality and Residency:
- You must be an Irish, EU, EEA, UK or Swiss National or have specific leave to remain in the State. More info
- You must be ordinarily resident in Ireland, the EU, EEA, UK or Switzerland for 3 of the last 5 years. If you were resident outside the State, it could affect the type of funding you could receive. More info
- You must be progressing in your education (increasing your NFQ level). More info
- You must be attending an approved course in an approved institution. More info
- Who is included in the calculation of your income for grant purposes depends on which class of applicant you are, dependent or independent. Please note that applicants who apply under the incorrect class will have their applications cancelled and will need to apply again.
- Your reckonable income (income calculated for grant purposes) must fall under the specified thresholds. This income will be a factor in determining what type of funding you could receive. More info
Maximum periods of grant assistance:
- Funding is only available to students at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level for a certain amount of years and depends on their previous education. More info
SUSI is accepting applications in the usual way from Irish students intending to study approved courses in the UK and from UK students intending to study in Ireland, as they can continue to avail of student grants if eligible.
Brexit will not affect the grants available to eligible students. Students from Ireland will continue to be able to study in the UK and students from the UK will be able to study in Ireland with grant rules continuing to apply in the normal way.