Are you eligible?
If you have not already done so, you should use our Eligibility Reckoner to give you an idea if you meet the criteria to receive Student Grant funding.
(The Eligibility Reckoner will give an indication only and does not guarantee your eligibility for a grant).
To be eligible for a grant you must qualify under the following criteria:
Nationality and Residency:
- You must be an Irish, EU, EEA or Swiss National or have specific leave to remain in the State. More info
- You must be ordinarily resident in Ireland or the EU for 3 of the last 5 years. If you were resident outside the State for this period but were resident in the EU, EEA or Switzerland you are deemed to be a tuition student which would normally make you eligible for the course fee portion of a grant. However, as you are applying for a PLC course of study (and SUSI does not supply funding for course fees on PLC courses, i.e. funding on PLC courses is provided for maintenance only) you will not qualify for any funding from SUSI.
- You must be progressing in your education (increasing your NFQ level). More info
- You must be attending an approved course in an approved institution. More info
- Who is included in the calculation of your income for grant purposes depends on which class of applicant you are, dependent or independent. Please note that applicants who apply under the incorrect class will have their applications cancelled and will need to apply again.
- Your reckonable income (income calculated for grant purposes) must fall under the specified thresholds. This income will be a factor in determining what type of funding you could receive. More info
Maximum periods of grant assistance:
- Funding is only available to students at PLC level for a certain amount of years and depends on their previous education. More info