Change in Circumstances
For information on changes in circumstances relating to the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, visit Change in Circumstances: pandemic unemployment payment discontinued or rate reduced.
For the 2022/2023 academic year, your application will be assessed on gross income from all sources for the period 1st January 2021 to 31st December 2021.
However, if you or a family member have experienced a change in circumstances from 1st January 2022, you may apply for your application to be assessed/reassessed under a change in circumstances by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and including Change in Circumstances in the subject line.
Change in Circumstances fall into the following two categories:
- Income related change in circumstances; and
- Non-Income related change in circumstances.
Income related change in circumstances include:
- Loss of employment;
- Permanent reduction in salary;
- Retirement; and
- Cessation of Trading (if Self Employed).
To apply for an income related change in circumstance, the fall in income must be likely to continue for the duration of the course or the foreseeable future. The income of all parties to the application including the person(s) experiencing the negative change will be assessed/reassessed on the current year (2022) and they may be asked to provide evidence of the current year’s (2022) income. If the change happens during the academic year, any grant award or adjustment will take effect from the month in which the change occurred.
Non-Income related change in circumstances include:
- A sibling or parent now attending further or higher education on a full-time basis;
- An increase in the number of dependent children in the household;
- A change in your nationality or immigration status;
- A change in your ordinary permanent residence (this is in relation to adjacent/non-adjacent rates of maintenance grant only); and
- A change of course or institution.
When you apply and/or advise of a non-income related change in circumstances, as per above, you will be asked to provide SUSI with documentary evidence to allow us to assess your application in relation to the declared change in circumstances.