Adjacency refers to the distance between your normal residence and your college and is assessed by measuring the shortest distance from your normal residence to your college.
If you’re eligible for a maintenance grant, it will be paid at either the adjacent or non-adjacent rate.
- The adjacent rate is paid when your normal residence is 45km or less from your college.
- The non-adjacent rate is paid when your normal residence is more than 45km from your college.
Where is my normal residence?
Your ‘normal residence’ is your usual place of residence. If you’re a dependent student, this will be the permanent or home address of your parents. If you’re an independent student, this will be your permanent or home address.
How is the distance from my normal residence to my college measured?
- The distance is measured using Google maps.
- The distance is always measured from your normal residence to the campus you’re attending and never the reverse.
- The distance is always measured avoiding tolls.
- The ‘depart at’ time is set to 1am to ensure consistency by measuring each SUSI Applicant’s adjacency at the same time. It also removes errors that might occur if measured at peak times due to traffic congestion.
- The shortest distance is always the one taken even if the duration is longer. This is a requirement under the Minister for Education and Skill’s Guidelines, which can be viewed here.
Can my adjacency change?
Yes. Your adjacency can change if:
- your normal residence changes;
- you’re required to complete a compulsory off-campus placement with a duration of at least one term;
- if you’re required to complete a compulsory study abroad.
SUSI will ask for documentary evidence to support these changes.